1 in 5 Canadians will experience a Mental Illness in their lifetime. Currently, suicide is the second leading cause of death for youth in this country and %50-75 of Mental Illnesses begin manifesting in childhood or adolescence. Despite the fact that early intervention is key to setting young people on the road to recovery, our system fails time and again to intervene early.
Canada’s Health Care system is broken – it simply does not have the resources nor the appropriate tools to effectively treat youth experiencing mental illness. It’s high time that we transform our model of care in Canada and stop accepting stories such as this one and this one as the norm.
Eli’s Place wants to show Canadians how the Recovery-Based Model of Mental Health can revolutionize mental health care for young Canadians. We would be the FIRST such long-term care facility for youth in Canada. Here’s why the Recovery Model is worth trying:
Key Features of a Recovery-Based Program:
- Rural, residential long-term treatment centre
- Individualized treatment within a therapeutic setting
- Focus on building competencies to move from illness to resilience
- Developing life/work skills that will make the trasition back into society easier
- Four phases: assessment, program, transition and aftercare
- Continuous evaluation of program outcomes and participants’ progress
In order to make this happen, Eli’s Place needs significant initial investment to purchase a rural property and get the infrastructure in place. Please consider donating or passing this on to someone you think would be interested in investing in the mental health care revolution!